Around 25 people came along to our very first Volunteer Social at The Duchess last week. It was a chance for new and potential volunteers to meet each other and the new committee, and find out about new developments and where help is needed.
Volunteering benefits everyone. A volunteer meets new people, learns new skills (at any age), gets out of the house and feels a sense of achievement – all at the same time as building a stronger community where everyone feels welcome.
Chair Francoise Ha outlined a number of volunteering opportunities including:-
- Encouraging local clubs and organisations to submit details to the Online Community Directory along with news and events
- Chat to people at local events from May to August on their views about living and working here, as part of The Big Poundbury Conversation
- Help organise and support community events
- Help with graphic design for website, newsletters, posters and social media channels
- Research and write news reports and articles – editing and proof reading would also be useful
- Website management and development
- Help update noticeboards
- Assist with a survey of community assets including benches
- Help to support and manage our growing team of volunteers
- Organising or delivering leaflets
- Road safety and speed watch volunteering
- Litter picking
- Volunteering in local schools
- Join the Love Poundbury committee team
- Help PiP with gardening, supporting senior socials or kids events
If something interests you, or if you have an interest or skill you could offer that is not on the list, we’d like to hear from you. If you are a local organisation which needs more volunteers, let us know too and we could promote opportunities you can offer.